Thursday, July 17, 2014

Hadleigh at the Hospital

The start of July was a rough one for our little family. Hadleigh had some blood lab work done and when the results came back abnormal, we were called and told to get to the E.R. immediately. I panicked and cried while talking with the N.P. over the phone who was telling me all about her lab results. We were admitted directly to the hospital  after they placed an I.V. in Hadleigh and a bunch of monitors. They told us she was a risk for seizures or a coma. This was so scary for us.

Those next few days in the hospital were scary. So much was unknown and it seemed like it was taken forever to connect the dots. Blood work, lab tests, screenings…. 7 days later, she was stabilized, started on a feeding tube, given antibiotics for an infection, and discharged with a lot of questions still unanswered. While in the hospital we were seen by urologists, endocrinologists, geneticists, G.I. specialist, speech, physical, and occupational therapists, lots of attending doctors, residents, nurses etc…. It was all so overwhelming. We are still in the process of finding out what is exactly going on in Hadleigh's little body but we are so happy that we were able to find an infection we didn't know she had. We are grateful that we found out her daily antibiotics were actually doing no good and masking her signs of infection. We were able to get her started on a better daily antibiotic.  It's sad that it will still take a long time to figure everything out, but we are happy that we took the steps we did (with her pediatrian and seeing a G.I specialist) so that we were able to discover these big problems.

We are grateful we live where we do. We have access to a special Children's Hospital that is known around the world for the great care, expertise, and specializations provided. We're grateful that despite all that was going on with her, Hadleigh was still a very happy baby, learning how to wave "Hi" and "Bye" to the nurses and doctors (and mimic what sounds like "Hi!" too!) We are grateful for the endless thoughts, prayers and fasting by our family and friends during this very difficult time. I'm grateful for those around us who provided meals and care for Taryn while Tyson was at work or with me at the hospital. Through this hard trial we have felt loved, blessed, cared for, and looked after.

During one of the most difficult days at the hospital, I remember crying so much, being so overwhelmed with everything and having to keep track of what was going on. I remember looking at my little baby girl and just feeling so sorry for her that she had to go through all of this. I couldn't believe how happy she was & how playful she was despite what was going on in her little body. I felt scared for the future and what it might hold for her. Then, I remember thinking about all those who were praying for her, loving her from miles and miles away, those who fasted for her and the doctors so they would find out what was going on. It brought so much comfort to my heart. It's what helped me pull through and survive the hardest week of my life and that of my family's. I know that we were blessed with a little angel whom regardless of what is going on in & around her, remains happy as can be. She is already such a great example and strength to me.

We continue to pray that we will find the answers to all of our questions and that Hadleigh will be strong and able to handle what's ahead in her life. 
Thank you for all the prayers and thoughts!


  1. I'm so sorry Brianna! Not knowing whats going on is almost harder than knowing. You are such an amazing person and I hope you find answers soon to help your baby girl.

  2. Oh I'm so sorry you all have had to deal with this! I'll be thinking about you and your family. I hope that they can find some solutions for little Hadleigh!